Friday, February 1, 2008

Polish American Treats in Toledo: A visit to Ski's

It seems some time has passed since I have discussed a local Toledo restaurant, so I want to correct that by sharing with you a recent outing to Ski’s, a very popular Polish American Restaurant. Ski’s is located at 5843 Monroe Street. You have to look for it because it is tucked away in an odd little plaza, but if you are looking for comfort food, this is the place.

Once in the door, the red and white Polish pride décor was a little off putting, especially the strange red ultraviolet light that is only located over the dance floor in the corner of the restaurant. As we were seated, we were greeted with live music. Truthfully, after having dined at Sokolowski’s University Inn (see previous post), I was a little skeptical having never been to Ski’s. I planned on ordering the pierogi’s on the recommendation of my friend, and I didn’t know if the experience was going to live up to the hype. For those of you unfamiliar with Polish fare, a pierogi is a delicious pasta filled dumpling with various fillings; cheese, potatoes, meat, etc. They are prepared by boiling, deep frying, or sautéed with onions; served with sour cream and crispy bacon.

Even thought I knew what I was going to order, we did spend some time examining the menu. I was amazed as I read Sauerkraut balls! Okay, I thought, this is beginning to look promising. Where in the hell do you go these days that they have Sauerkraut balls on the menu? I’ll tell you where Grandma’s house and Ski’s.

I love Sauerkraut balls. Every year on New Years Eve or New Years Day, my Grandma Sharp would make these lovely, bit-size deep-fried balls that once you put in your mouth and crunched would literally melt leaving a layered medley of sweet, sour, savory tastes mingled with the crunch of kraut and minced corned beef. They are delicious; I have a recipe--maybe I’ll share.

The waitress came; we ordered. And then, the complementary salad came. I wanted to cry. If you know me you know that I hate what I refer to as the “Ohio salad.” It won’t be hard to imagine b/c if you are from Ohio or have stepped foot in our borders you know what the “Ohio salad” is. It’s an awful middle of winter iceberg lettuce that (served all year long) with a wedge of tomato and that is about it. Ski’s threw on some dehydrated onions and raisins to make it interesting (I hope you note my sarcasm here). Setting aside the salad, I intently starred at the door of the kitchen waiting for relief from the salad from hell. Where are my sauerkraut balls?

The balls arrived: they were delicious, but not my grandma’s. They were served on a bed of fresh cabbage which I liked; it added freshness. The house poppy dressing stood in as a good dipping sauce, Greg’s idea.

The potato and veal pierogie’s, made in Hamtramck, MI, were really great, so tasty. They were served with a warm sweet and sour kraut. Greg got the Kluski z kapusta I klopsiki, or Polish Noodles and Cabbage with Meatballs. His dish was so good. It was topped with brown gravy that was reminiscent of Salisbury steak, like Grandma made. The sweet and sour kraut over the homemade/handmade noodles was fantastic, tender not overcooked.

We didn’t do dessert (they looked good).

Speaking of dessert, another Toledo tradition is being celebrated this weekend. If you are interested in an experiencing a Polish American tradition—the timing of this blog is very apropos, because beginning on February 3rd thru the 5th the 18th Annual Lagrange Village Council Paczki Sale will be held.

Paczki, pronounced "poonch-key" or "punch-key" is feasted upon before lent. A Paczki is like a jelly donut, but better it is like a supper jelly donut often filled with more traditional fillings, e.g. a raisin filing.



According to a ToledoBlade Article that was published on January 21, 2008 sale hours will be 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Feb. 3, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Feb. 4, and 5 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Fat Tuesday, Feb. 5. at the Shoppes on Lagrinka, 2848 Lagrange St.

Happy Paczki Day!

1 comment:

Beach Bum said...

Sounds like a fun dinner together-even if they did serve the "Ohio salad!" :) Gotta love it!